Advice from award-winning accountants in US Expat tax: The tax filing requirements from American expats

As expert accountants in US Expat tax, we have worked with thousands of American expats and so have come across pretty much every question and problem a US Expat might face when it comes to their taxes.

For the next month we will be covering the ins and outs of US expat tax.

Today: What are the tax filing requirements for US expats?

Whether you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien who’s living abroad, the rules for filing a US income tax return and paying estimated tax are generally the same as if you were residing within the U.S.

The filing requirement is also applicable to estate and gift tax returns for US expats. The rules apply only to your federal income tax return. There are different filing rules for each U.S. state.

Your income converted in to U.S. dollars, filing status and age is what generally determines whether you must file an income tax return. You would normally have to file a tax return if your gross income from worldwide sources is at least the amount shown for your filing status in the following table.

Please note that there are different filing requirements for the self-employed

Do I have to file a return if I am self-employed overseas?

If you are self-employed, your gross income will include the amount on Part I, line 7 of Schedule C (From 1040) Net Profit from Business.

For self-employed individuals whose net earnings from self-employment are $400 or more, you must file a return even if your gross is below the amount listed for your filing status. 

Contact us now for more advice