Expenses For Photographers’ Tax Returns

At Bambridge Accountants we specialise in preparing photographer tax returns, as well as those of other individuals working in the creative and performance industries.

As a self employed photographer, you should keep records of your income and expenses throughout the year, so that everything can be declared when you file your tax return with HMRC.

A photographer’s income records may include: 

  • Invoices you have issued
  • Royalty statements
  • Remittance advice
  • Statements from an agent
  • Statements from a publisher
  • Statements from a gallery or other exhibitor

A photographer’s expenses may include bills, receipts and invoices for the following:

  • Travel tickets
  • Petrol and other motor costs
  • Subsistence
  • Camera equipment purchase or hire
  • Processing equipment purchase or hire
  • Repairs to equipment
  • Computer hardware
  • Computer software
  • Development costs
  • Framing, mounting and other display costs
  • Courses relating to continual professional development
  • Commission and fees paid to galleries, agents and websites
  • Postage and packaging
  • Stationary and other office costs
  • Advertising costs, including business cards and domain names
  • Studio hire
  • Fees paid to models, developers, assistants or other contractors
  • Prop and costume purchase or hire

We offer a free consultation to photographers looking for assistance with their tax return. To arrange your consultation email info@bambridgeaccountants.co.uk today.